Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Filament Drive


Today I worked on the housing for the filament drive system.  Pretty simple really, a couple of 1/8" thick aluminum plates, and some delrin to space them apart.  As previously mentioned, the drive roller and larger pulley spin on needle roller bearings against a 1/4" diameter shoulder bolt.  The front side of the housing has an adjustable shaft that the idler roller rides on.  The idler roller is a bronze bushing with rubber bonded to it.


In this side view you can kind of see how all of the pieces fit together.  Although I haven't put power to the stepper yet it seems to have plenty of grip on the PLA that I have.  It's really hard to see in these pictures, but the delrin is cut for some pieces of 3/8" PTFE rod that I had from another project.  I'll drill them out to provide top and bottom guide tubes for the filament.  The bottom tube will extend all the way down into the heatsink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment